[tei-council] encoding page scans

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri Dec 16 01:06:56 EST 2005

CT> PS incidentally, I note that graphic/@scale has type
CT> data.probability. Shouldn't this be a real number?

Hmmm... perhaps. Remember that data.probability is a real number
between 0 and 1 (inclusive). It is probably unreasonable to have a
negative value for scale= of <graphic>, but a value > 1 may make
sense. In which case, the desired constraint is
   xsd:double { minInclusive="0" }
and no existing TEI datatype will do the job. We could
a) decide negative values are OK (what do they mean?) and use
   tei.numeric
b) use data.numeric, and live with the fact that the schema permits
   negative values that make no sense (prose remarks and perhaps
   Schematron rules would disallow negative values)
c) use data.outputMeasurement
d) create new TEI datatype
e) use RelaxNG code directly, w/o a datatype

I don't like (c), it has the wrong semantics.

SR> Don't forget, by the way, that for some people <pb> points
SR> forward, for others it points back. If we all used <pb>, that
SR> would need clearing up too.

How much stronger than the current "By convention, <pb> elements
should appear at the start of the page to which they refer." do you
think we should get?

LB> p.s. shouldnt this conversation be going on on tei-l?
CT> Perhaps?

I think it should be. But the real problem is we can't just post to
TEI-L and tell people to read the archives of this discussion,
because the archives of this list are viewable by subscribers only,
and thus are closed to public scrutiny. While I suppose there may be
an occasional sensitive discussion, generally speaking I'm of a mind
that the deliberations of Council should be open.