[tei-council] encoding page scans

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 19:06:05 EST 2005

Conal Tuohy wrote:

>What are the intended semantics of <graphic> when not contained in a
><figure>? Should <figure> be reserved for formal figures, and bare
><graphic> used for everything else?

<figure> can _contain_ <graphic>, and much else besides.
You use <graphic> anywhere you want to include an external
image file, no more and no less. So if we defined <pageImage>,
its child would be <graphic>

>I haven't seen the <bitmap> element ... I will take a look.

Lou meant <binaryObject>, its just a way of including images
in the text by using encoding binary data

>I think there should be a standard encoding in TEI
>(i.e. a standard module, not one that people have to write themselves)
>which defines markup for page facsimiles.

I agree.

>I would be interested in the idea that a light-weight encoding practice
>(such as is commonly used today) might be mapped to a more sophisticated
>one using ODD. So a sophisticated module would provide a rich semantic
>basis, for interchange, and a light-weight extension module could be
>used as a shorthand for the common simple case of one image file per pb
>element. I'm not sure how easy it is in ODD to map something simple like
><pb n="1" url="page1.jpg"/> to a more generally-capable markup -
>especially if the more general markup linked to graphic elements encoded
>in the teiHeader or something. Do any of the ODD experts have a feel for
>that? Is it feasible at all?

I think I'd want to sit down with you and some scrap paper
and really get to grips with what ODD is and isn't before
I could answer that.

Would you be _very_ unhappy with a secondary TEI
document consisting of a series of <pageImage> elements,
whose body would contain <graphic> elements, structured to
cover Dot's point about multiple versions? Noting that this
would allow, inter alia, for _alternative_ transcriptons in different
TEI documents, linked to this document which describes a series
of page scans?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk