[tei-council] encoding page scans

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 16 04:11:43 EST 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:

>Hmmm... perhaps. Remember that data.probability is a real number
>between 0 and 1 (inclusive). It is probably unreasonable to have a
>negative value for scale= of <graphic>, but a value > 1 may make
>sense. In which case, the desired constraint is
>   xsd:double { minInclusive="0" }
>and no existing TEI datatype will do the job. We could
>a) decide negative values are OK (what do they mean?) and use
>   tei.numeric
>b) use data.numeric, and live with the fact that the schema permits
>   negative values that make no sense (prose remarks and perhaps
>   Schematron rules would disallow negative values)
>c) use data.outputMeasurement
>d) create new TEI datatype
>e) use RelaxNG code directly, w/o a datatype

I'd go straight to b) and live with the common sense approach.

>SR> Don't forget, by the way, that for some people <pb> points
>SR> forward, for others it points back. If we all used <pb>, that
>SR> would need clearing up too.
>
>How much stronger than the current "By convention, <pb> elements
>should appear at the start of the page to which they refer." do you
>think we should get?

Stronger :-}

in what sense does a <pb> "refer" to a page? its a page boundary,
by definition it occurs between two pages, favouring neither.

is there a page boundary at the start of every document?

perhaps I'm biased from a typesetting background, but I treat
<pb> like a LaTeX \newpage, so it occurs at the point where
I expect a new page to start; and at the start of the document
I have implictly started a new page anyway.

sebastian