[tei-council] versificatory matters

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 8 20:42:36 EST 2005

Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> I believe we have decided to abolish the numbered variants on <lg>
> provided by the chapter for verse (<lg1>, <lg2> etc.) in P5 but I
> can't find any written record of this eminently sensible
> decision.

I think it is at
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Council/tcm17.xml?style=printable in item 7.7,
second paragraph.

> Before I set to  wielding my editing axe on this topic
> (treated somewhat skimpily but not insubstantially in chapter VE),
> does anyone wish to put in a last minute plea for a reprieve?

Not here, I have never used one and have seen them gone long ago.

> While thinking about verse, I would also like to sneak in a new
> element which should have been there all along: <rhyme>. This will be
> a phrase level element used to delimit the rhyming word/s of a
> line. It will have an attribute LABEL  to identify which bit of  the
> rhyme scheme (e.g. the a or b) this rhyming word instantiates and
> possibly TYPE to indicate what sort of a rhyme this is (e.g. full,
> partial, etc)

I like the idea. Does this mean the <rhyme> is valid outside <l> as well?
BTW, some of my recent ODDs oddly did not allow nested <lg>s. While
you are at it, could you please check if that is a bug in P5?

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern