[tei-council] versificatory matters

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 16:21:37 EST 2005

I believe we have decided to abolish the numbered variants on <lg>
provided by the chapter for verse (<lg1>, <lg2> etc.) in P5 but I can't
find any written record of this eminently sensible decision. Before I
set to  wielding my editing axe on this topic (treated somewhat skimpily
but not insubstantially in chapter VE), does anyone wish to put in a
last minute plea for a reprieve?

While thinking about verse, I would also like to sneak in a new element
which should have been there all along: <rhyme>. This will be a phrase
level element used to delimit the rhyming word/s of a line. It will have
an attribute LABEL  to identify which bit of  the rhyme scheme (e.g. the
a or b) this rhyming word instantiates and possibly TYPE to indicate
what sort of a rhyme this is (e.g. full, partial, etc)

<l>Confess, have they not <rhyme label="b" type="awful">hen-pecked you
all</rhyme>?</l>

(Byron: Don Juan, from memory)

p.s. I claim no originality for this idea, having nicked it from Wendell
Piez's charming sonnet site,
http://sonneteer.xmlshoestring.com/sonneteer/index.xml