[tei-council] datatypes: outstanding questions

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 19:54:18 EDT 2005

I now have another, and MUCH SHORTER list of outstanding issues for
Council's consideration. There follows a list of all attributes whose
datatype remains a matter of uncertainty. In some cases Syd has made a
suggestion which I disagree with; in others there is no suggestion; in
two or three others, I agree with the suggestion, but havent yet
implemented it. Fortunately, there are only a few!

w at lemma:
  Syd suggests this should be a child element which is not unreasonable:
if it remains an
  attribute, I think it should be tei.data.name

textLang at otherLangs:
  Syd proposes list { tei.data.language+ } : fine

alt at weights:
   list { tei.data.probability+ } : fine

specDesc at atts:
   list { xsd:NCName* } : I think list {tei.data.ident+}  wd be more
consistent

arc at label2:
node at label2:
arc at label:
eLeaf at label:
eTree at label:
graph at label:
iNode at label:
leaf at label:
node at label:
root at label:
tree at label:
triangle at label:
   Syd marks all these as "NaAA" : but they are still all there and
   need to be fixed if we want to retain this module

orgDivn at reg:
orgName at reg:
orgTitle at reg:
orgType at reg:
   Likewise, marked as NaAA : need to be fixed

m at baseForm:
   pending DI revision : shd be treated as w at lemma above

schemaSpec at start:
   Syd proposes tei.data.idents: should be list {tei.data.ident+} for
   consistency

tree at ord:
   tei.data.truthValue | "partial" : shd be closed vallist,
tei.data.enumerated

schemaSpec at namespace:
elementSpec at ns:
   Syd proposes xsd:anyURI : but is a namespace
   necessarily a URI (and if it is, why not use
   tei.data.pointer). suggest (new) tei.data.namespace mapping to ?

metSym at terminal:
numeric at trunc:
binary at value:
   Syd suggests  xsd:boolean for these: I think they should all be
   tei.data.truthValue (which should map to xsd:boolean; cases where
truthValue permits "unknown" shd be given     different datatype)

timeline at interval:
when at interval:
   xsd:float { minInclusive = "0" } | xsd:token : rationalise to
   tei.data.count and revise text (use null value for uncertain
   interval size)

handDesc at hands:
   xsd:nonNegativeInteger | "many" : rationalise to tei.data.count and
   remove "many" option.

TEI at version:
   Syd proposes  xsd:token { pattern="[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+){0,2}[abdp]?" :
   which seems entirely unnecessary effort to me, but it doesnt matter
   to anyone except us, so ...

sense at level:
   xsd:unsignedShort : shd be tei.data.count

alt at wScale:
altGrp at wScale:
   Syd says [should be dropped completely] : i agree, assuming that we
   agree on using either 0..1 or 0..100 (but not either) to express
   probabilities. These elements need a lot of tidying up.

%tei.dictionaries at expand:
%tei.dictionaries at split:
%tei.dictionaries at value:
    : no proposals are made for these three, presumably "pending DI
    revision"

%tei.pointerGroup at targFunc:
   list { tei.data.ident, tei.data.idents } : I agree that this should
   be handled in the same way as targets attribute, but its components
   are tei.data.name not tei.data.ident -- they are arbitrary names,
   not XML identifiers

%tei.pointerGroup at domains:
   list { tei.data.pointer, tei.data.pointers } : yes, tho I think it
   might be better to rethink this lot as child elements

%tei.dictionaries at orig:
   NaAA : is still there, but in need of serious revision

%tei.names at reg:
   NaAA :  is still there, but in need of serious revision
%tei.personPart at reg:
   NaAA :  is still there, but in need of serious revision

%tei.temporalExpr at reg:
   NaAA : is still there, but should be removed

%tei.declarable at default:
%tei.identifiable at predeclare:
   xsd:boolean : should both be tei.data.truthValue, cf above

%tei.global at xmlid:
   xsd:ID : er, yes.