[tei-council] regularizing names

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 16:44:37 EDT 2005

The main problem I have with this is that all the examples cited seem to
be about linking the name to a PERSON not to a NAME, in which case the
existing key attribute would surely be more appropriate? (That's not to
say that having a <regName> child within <person> wouldn't be a good
idea). But the only use for having both a reg attribute and a key
attribute on a name ought to be for one to regularize the name, and the
other to regularize the thing-named. In which case, we have to be able
to support the reg attribute on components of names, e.g.
<name key="JF">
<forename reg="JULIA">Juley</forename>
<surname reg="FLANDERS">Flanderes</surname>
</name>

<person ident="JF">
<regName>
<forename ident="JULIA">Julia</forename>
<surname ident="FLANDERS">Flanders</surname>
</regName>
<!-- other demographic info here -->
</person>

[I've used co-labelling here rather than ID/IDREF but the same principle
applies]

in haste

Lou