[tei-council] regularizing names

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu
Fri Jul 8 17:31:00 EDT 2005

Here's what Perry and I have come up with concerning the
regularization of names.

We propose, tentatively, that in P5 we handle the regularization of
names as follows:

Name elements (<name> and the other "primary" name elements including
<persName>, <placeName>, <orgName>, <geogName>) may carry a reg=
attribute, which points to a <regName> element which contains
information on regularization. This element might live in the TEI
header or in some other convenient place. The datatype for reg= would
be tei.data.code. The element name (<regName> as against <reg>) is
chosen to help distinguish the function of this regularization
structure from other kinds of regularization in the document.

The nested naming elements such as <foreName>, <surname>, etc.--i.e.
those which cannot occur on their own but must be nested inside a
primary naming element--would not carry the reg= attribute and cannot
be regularized independently. We considered a mechanism for doing
this and if any Council members think it would be a good idea we can
add this bit.

The <regName> element may either contain a regularized version of the
name as its content, or it may carry a pointer to an external
resource (either locally maintained or an authority file external to
the project, such as Library of Congress Name Authority files). It
could also do both, and we don't see a need to police this choice
(e.g. by making these options exclusive).

The <regName> element would carry three attributes:
--authority=  indicates what authority, if any, is being used as the
source of the regularization, with values such as "NACO", other
possibilities
--url= (or target=) points to an external resource
--xml:id= allows the element to be pointed to from the naming element
in the text.

Example:

<regName authority="NACO" xml:id="rn17">Clinton, William J.</regName>
<regName authority="NACO" xml:id="rn18">Aldrin, Edwin Eugene, Jr.</regName>

<!-- above <regName> elements may be somewhere in <teiHeader> or <hyperDiv>,
            and may be part of a new prosopographic element -->
<name reg="#rn17">Bill Clinton</name>
<persName reg="#rn18">Buzz Aldrin</persName>

We are still concerned about how this use of reg= and <regName> will
fit in with other forms of regularization (e.g. spelling). However,
since all other uses of reg= will probably now be addressed as child
elements, the possibility of confusion is diminished.

Comments welcome--

Julia