[tei-council] directory layout again

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 18:02:50 EDT 2005

After much agonizing, I am still unhappy with this directory layout for
the TEI, and
I want to propose a radical new direction. viz, split TEI P4 ("TEI
Classic") and
TEI P5 ("TEI Low Fat") into entirely separate, parallel, applications.
So, on a Linux system, you
might see

  /usr/share/xml/teiclassic
  /usr/share/xml/tei
  /usr/share/xml/docbook
  /usr/share/xml/xhtml

so there would be no "p4" or "p5" layers anywhere, you would just choose
a tree at the top level to work with. It simplifies lots of things, and
makes it
easier to document. I cannot think of a situation where we mingle P4 and P5.

What do folks think? I know the big problem is that only one thing can
be called "tei",
so either P4 or P5 gets a new name. I believe that P5 should get the
"tei" name, since
it is where we are working, and we have started on our 0.1 release.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk