[tei-council] directory layout of a TEI distribution

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 08:11:56 EDT 2005

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> How should the HTML guidelines relate to
> the skeletons?
> what should the "skeletons" be called? where is the documentation for
> these exemplars?

For the record, I view 'skeletons' and 'exemplars' as completely
different things.  The skeleton gives you an empty skeleton framework
for starting a particular type of document quickly, whereas an
exemplar acts as a detailed example with text demonstrating and
explaining particular markup solutions.

> should I use "p4" or "P4" consistently?

Yes.  That is, it should be consistent, whichever is more official?

On the below:  Although I'm used to the way the debian packages are
structured at the moment.  Should the rational be to divide by
aspect(?) and then by version, or by version and then aspect of the TEI.

So: TEI -- P4-- Guidelines
      |      |-- Skeletons

      |----P5 -- Guidelines
            |-- Skeletons

or
    TEI -- Guidelines -- P4
      |           |------P5
      |
      | -- Skeletons -- P4
                  | --- P5

In comparing the Doc tree and the schema and stylesheet tree don't we
seem to be mixing and matching both of these two types of layout?

(i.e. p4/common p5/common etc.)

I'm assuming that keeping the versions entirely separate is beneficial
in terms of version control, thus perhaps it should be
doc/tei/p4/skeletons and xml/tei/p4/odd|schema|stylesheet and
xml/tei/p5/odd|schema|stylesheet

Just my two pence after staying up too late watching Live8.

-James