[tei-council] more on internationalization

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri May 20 17:44:46 EDT 2005

Julia Flanders wrote:
> 1. Provide the TEI tagset in several languages other than English
> --complete the existing provision for tag names and attributes in
> German, French, and Spanish
> --add to this list of languages, perhaps to include Italian, a
> Scandinavian language, an Eastern European language?

Could I point out a type of language that is under-represented here?
Although I don't know any oriental language, it strikes me that they
(perhaps Japanese) would be quite interesting to have the TEI tagset
in such a language.  This would also encourage take-up of TEI in
oriental text-encoding projects.  Of course, I'm suggesting this
with only a sliver of a guess about the possible problems in taxonomy,
etc.  But if this really is the brave new world of Unicode, then it
seems to me that something very non-western in its character set should
be included.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this as a proposed output for any
particular funding bid, but something we should keep in mind.

-James