[tei-council] more on internationalization

Edward Vanhoutte edward.vanhoutte at kantl.be
Fri May 20 16:31:00 EDT 2005

I think a third valuable way is the translation of the on-line workshops
which could come out of project 'TEI by example. Creating a toolkit for
teaching text encoding' which was submitted in february to the ALLC
project support programme by Melissa Terras and myself and which was
widely supported by many of you.

Edward

Julia Flanders wrote:

> Syd and I were talking about this issue a little more, and it seemed
> to us that two valuable ways to increase the multilinguality of the
> TEI universe would be:
>
> 1. Provide the TEI tagset in several languages other than English
> --complete the existing provision for tag names and attributes in
> German, French, and Spanish
> --add to this list of languages, perhaps to include Italian, a
> Scandinavian language, an Eastern European language?
>
> 2. Provide the P5 how-to, ODD manual, and an Introduction to TEI
> document in several languages other than English
>
> It would also be nice to translate the Guidelines themselves, but that
> would be beyond the scope of this initial funding. And I think
> covering more languages is in some ways more useful than covering more
> information--for one thing, diplomatically, it sends a stronger signal
> of inclusiveness, and doesn't ask us to decide which language is most
> important to start with.
>
> I don't have a sense of how much work is involved in either task;
> ideally, we would use the funding to leverage some volunteer time. How
> much time did it take to translate the tagset into German or French or
> Spanish?
>
> Best wishes, Julia

================
Edward Vanhoutte
Coordinator
Centrum voor Teksteditie en Bronnenstudie - CTB (KANTL)
Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
Associate Editor, Literary and Linguistic Computing
Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde
Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature
Koningstraat 18 / b-9000 Gent / Belgium
tel: +32 9 265 93 51 / fax: +32 9 265 93 49
edward dot vanhoutte at kantl dot be
http://www.kantl.be/ctb/
http://www.kantl.be/ctb/vanhoutte/
http://www.kantl.be/ctb/staff/edward.htm