[tei-council] ODD manual

Julia Flanders Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu
Fri May 6 13:22:31 EDT 2005

I really enjoyed reading this document (!?!). I agree, it will
benefit from being made even more accessible, and from explaining
things in a bit more detail. But overall I think it's a really good
start.

A few points for revision which you may already have noted:

--move the explanation of the mode= attribute on <elementSpec> to
precede the discussion of adding a new element, since that example
uses the mode= attribute; might even want to have a little section
heading there like "modifications to the schema" or whatever, with a
topic sentence like "You can add, replace, remove, or change elements
using the mode= attribute on <elementSpec>..."

--I think you need to briefly describe the nature, usage, and
implications of the tei class system at some point fairly early on,
or at least mention that it exists and point the reader to the
appendix. (And even in that case, the appendix in its current form
doesn't discuss any issues surrounding the use of classes--for
instance, making sure the novice knows that an element may belong to
more than one class, or that the classes have no relation to the
modules. So some more extended discussion of how it all works would
be great.) I first noticed the need in section 4 (Writing ODD
specifications) in the example of adding a new element, where it
points out that you can specify what class(es) the new element will
be added to. By the time we get to the example of adding the <death>
element the need is more acute. For instance, when reading through
the example, I find myself wondering what the implications of
including an element in a particular class are: does it mean that it
gets to use certain attributes? can one add an element to any class
at will or is there a possibility of producing something that is
self-contradictory at a technical level (that is, it's not just
silly--it doesn't work). I don't think (anticipating a possible
objection) that the class system needs to be presented in huge detail
to bog the reader down, just a brief explanation to anticipate these
kinds of questions, with a pointer to some more complete account
elsewhere.

--I was glad to see the sentence (after that example) "There is no
need to specify a module for the element to appear in, as this would
not be used for anything." and in fact I thought it could have been
stated even earlier, after that first <soundClip> example (that was
where the question occurred to me). Perhaps this sentence could be
placed together with "For objects which are not new, you should
specify the module in which it was originally defined" right near the
beginning of the section on modifications. At the moment,
instructions like these are scattered through as comments on
examples, rather than being given together as a set of principles--I
wonder whether the latter might be a useful approach (perhaps with
reminders as glosses/commentary on specific examples).

--the <include> example takes several readings to grasp; I think it's
confusing partly because it's sort of a meta-example, and this isn't
made absolutely clear in the prose. (I even misread "This
document..." as meaning "the document you're about to see in the next
example" rather than "the document you're reading", and I think that
it could also be made much clearer that the <include> element is not
a TEI element. Possible rewrite for that sentence: "The document you
are now reading, for instance, pulls in tables created by automatic
processes using a non-TEI element <include>:
[example]
This <include> element needs to be able to appear almost everywhere,
so we want to add it to a TEI class whose members are permitted
almost everywhere; tei.Incl does this job nicely."

--Appendix C, TEI Macros needs more explanatory prose, and also needs
to make clearer what the stuff in the green boxes is. This section is
more or less opaque to a novice.

At whatever point in the revision process you think it would be
useful, I'd be glad to send a list of things that need clarification
for a more novice reader (i.e. if you want to do the revisions you
suggest first, I could do a pass on the results).

Best wishes, Julia