[tei-council] first draft of minutes of 2005-04-28/29 meeting available

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu May 5 15:44:02 EDT 2005

On 5 May 2005, at 18:59, Julia Flanders wrote:

> The point on tei.numeric that I remember was that we were going to
> consider whether we needed a TEI data type that could accommodate more
> specific kinds of numeric data....? I remember Laurent suggesting a
> tei.formula (or something to that effect), which could be what this is
> gesturing towards.
>
> EDW86 seems to be malformed and can't be read at the moment, so I
> can't jog my memory by looking at the list of proposed datatypes.

Aaargh! Thanks for pointing this out -- I have now fixed the stupid
tagging error.

Here's the text I added to edw86  which I think expresses what we were
discussing:

The suggested tei.numeric is a deliberately vague general class,
intended to encompass a number of more precise datatypes (analogous
therefore to tei.tempexp). For example, we might want to restrict some
attribute values to a quantity which might be represented either as a
real number in the range 0 to 1 or as a percentage; in other cases, it
might make no sense to have any non-integral value, or to permit a
negative value. We have nothing analogous to the valList to express
these constraints on numeric values.

Lou "thumbs" Burnard