[tei-council] chapter ST [was P5 how to]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 04:05:10 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:

> On a slightly different topic, while studying this material I was also
> looking at chapter 3, Structure of the TEI Document Type Definition
> and noticed that there is a lot of work that needs to be done.  This
> is one of the chapters I excluded from my list of chapters for review
> since I think the editors will have to take care of it.

That is correct. It's my main objective as soon as the work on classes
etc. has settled down a bit. This is the chapter in which all the
classes are actually first defined, so it cannot be completed until the
class reorganization is if not complete at least clearly agreed. But I
agree that the chapter  should certainly have a health warning at its start.

   To me, the
> mixture of generic description (TEI schema) and specific mentioning of
> DTD language is utterly confusing and makes it difficult to infer
> which layer of the text (e.g. P4 or P5) I am currently looking at.  I
> think it is highly desirably to make this chapter more readable, since
> access to P5 more or less depends on this.

I agree. It's just rather a difficult task when so much of the rest of
the system is in flux.