[tei-council] biblItem proposal and discussion

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Apr 2 16:29:26 EST 2005

IIRC from the conference call, Lou would like Council to take a look
at <biblStruct> and <biblItem>, compare and contrast them, and
ascertain which one, or both, should be in P5. If I understand
correctly Perry is going to bring the proposal document[1] up-to-date
(it is quite outdated -- still has that <relatedBiblItem> thing,
which is just oh so 2004 :-).

Ideally there would be a working paper on this issue for you to read
written by some combination of me, Perry, Paul Tremblay, and the
xml-biblio group. However, I'm going away for the next week and a
half, and most likely will not be able to put any significant effort
into such a project during my trip.

In the interim, <biblStruct> is discussed, including examples, in the
released versions of P5 (0.1.1 & 0.1.2) [2], pretty much untouched
from P4. <biblItem> is discussed in subsequent versions which can be
checked out from the CVS source tree; one such version can be viewed
at http://bauman.zapto.org/~syd/Guidelines/ref-BIBLITEM.html. Note
that there are 2 relatively simple examples on that page, but the
examples in the main text of the Guidelines have not yet been changed
from <biblStruct> to <biblItem>.

Notes
-----
[1] http://www.tei-c.org/Council/sfw01.xml
[2] http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tei/tei-p5-doc-0.1.2.zip?download
    See file tei-p5-doc-0.1.1/Guidelines/ref-BIBLSTRU.html