[tei-council] licensing of XSLT stylesheets

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 10:36:31 EST 2004

As most of you will have seen on TEI-L, Syntext don't want to distribute
the XSLT stylesheets I wrote for the Consortium, because they are GPLed.

Would the Board politically, and the Council technically, like to
tell me to change the license for the next edition of this XSL stuff?
In order to protect me from Oxford's rules and regulations,
Lou and I have been claiming for some time that the time I spend
on the XSLT is working for the TEI, so the consortium holds
the copyright.

Choices are

 1. leave as is, and attempt to educate Syntext about the implications
of the GPL
 2. create a separate licensing arrangement with Syntext
 3. release the next edition under a very liberal BSD-like license

my inclination is to 1, but I don't want to put off our fledgling
relationship
with such people, so 3 may the easiest way out.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk