[Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders at Brown.edu>] Re: Documents to be reviewed before Council call on March 30

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 24 06:13:57 EST 2004

Dear council members,

Following is a proposal for a new working group to be charged by the
TEI.  Please read through it and consider it, I will put a discussion
of this on the agenda for the next conference call.

All the best,

Christian

Dear Christian,

I am writing not as a member of the council but as a member of a
group submitting a proposal for a TEI workgroup. We've prepared a
proposal (below) which we would like to ask the Council to consider.

Proposal for a TEI workgroup on physical bibliography

It has been well understood since the publication of P3 that the TEI
Guidelines do not provide for a detailed encoding of physical
bibliographical description. There has been an acknowledged need for
coverage of this topic for over a decade. We would like to propose a
workgroup to create an encoding specification for capturing certain
physical bibliographical details in a structured form.

In discussions of encoding information about physical documents,
there have been two basic strands:

--those who are interested in the physical document very broadly:
details of binding, description of materials, description of page
layout and graphic elements, and other kinds of "bibliographic codes"
(to use Jerome McGann's now well-known term).

--those who are interested in particular details of physical
bibliography that are essential for certain types of bibliographical
analysis, for example those focusing on the structure of the book
(its collation and binding) and the reconstruction of the printing
surfaces from which the book was created.

The former community agrees that details of the physical document are
crucial--both theoretically and in practice--for an adequate digital
account of the physical object, but no consensus has emerged about
what features need capturing, what descriptive vocabulary would best
describe them, or what analytical processes or research might be
facilitated once the information was encoded.

The latter community, however, represents a long tradition (nearly a
century) of well-codified bibliographical research that has produced
a vocabulary, a formalism, and a methodology for bibliographic
description and analysis. The research questions that engage this
community could clearly be furthered by the availability of
well-encoded data representing the necessary information. A set of
consistent guidelines for capturing this information within TEI
documents would be a necessary first step in enabling this type of
research.

We feel that the latter strand can be separated without disadvantage
from the former, since its boundaries are comparatively clear and its
needs are not difficult to address. The former strand is also
important, but requires a larger and lengthier effort even to define
its constituency, their needs, and the best way of addressing them.

We would therefore like to propose a workgroup to develop a TEI
encoding scheme to encode details of physical bibliographical
information, including:

--identification of the gathering, leaf, and side for each physical page
--description of methods for using <join> to derive higher-order
structures from this basic information (e.g. to reconstruct a given
bifolium or forme or sheet of paper from a set of individual pages)
--summary elements for inclusion in the TEI header which would
provide a formalized description of the entire book and its collation
structure.

The proposed members of this workgroup are:

Terry Catapano (Chair), Columbia University
Julia Flanders, Brown University
Richard Noble, Brown University
David Gants, University of New Brunswick
Edward Vanhoutte, Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
[Shef Rogers, University of Otago; still pending acceptance]

We anticipate that all of the necessary work can be accomplished via
email and telephone, and thus will not require any face-to-face
meetings. A small budget for conference calls ($250) would suffice.

If the Council approves this workgroup, we expect to complete this
work by fall 2004. Depending on the timing of P5, it might be ready
for inclusion in P5 if appropriate; if not, it could be included in
P6.

Comments and recommendations are welcome.

--

 Christian Wittern