post-call cleanup

M. J. Driscoll mjd at hum.ku.dk
Wed Feb 4 05:23:28 EST 2004

Dear Christian and other members of the council,

While I would not like to say that the work of the MS-
description task-force has stalled, there is little new to
report just at the moment, and so our not appearing on the
agenda for last week's conference call was not an
oversight, still less a "failure". Things have begun
happening again, however, and I think we all feel confident
that we can have something in place for P5.  In keeping
with our original charge, what this "something" will be is
a set of recommendations for a single tagset capable of
representing both loosely structured and highly structured
descriptions which draws on MASTER and the work of the TEI-
MMSS workgroup (with significant input from the David
Birnbaum's Repertorium project). It is clear, however, that
there is still a significant need to develop more richly
structured content models than those provided by any of the
existing systems or their synthesis; what is needed now are
recommendations for encoding manuscript descriptions that
would transcend these existing systems, providing a rich
and workable next-generation recommendation. For this, as
David Birnbaum has proposed, we feel we need to be re-
chartered as a workgroup.

But first things first.

Matthew

M. J. Driscoll