news of a change

John Unsworth jmu2m at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 14 23:37:33 EST 2003

Folks,

You may have heard that I will be joining the University of Illinois as
dean of  the graduate school of library and information science, starting
in August.  I'll also have a courtesy appointment in the English department
there.  I will have something to say about this at greater length on
Humanist, but (following, in different ways, in Allen Renear's and Susan
Hockey's footsteps) I think this will provide an interesting opportunity to
continue working on humanities computing, in new ways. I would like to
continue to be involved in the TEI, in whatever way you would like me
to--but as I helped to write the rules for the organization, I must note
that my position as chair of the Consortium depends on my being a host
representative, and when I move to Illinois, I will no longer represent a
host.  I am also appointed to chair the Council as a representative of the
board, but again, my position on the board derives from my representing UVa
as a host.

I am already working on putting together a bid for Illinois to be a fifth
host, but I will also need to scale back some of my other activities as I
begin this new job.  I think the sensible thing to do would be to ask Mike
Furlough to serve as host representative to the Board, since the Board's
main duty at the moment is recruiting, and since Mike can do that very
effectively as a member of the library community, and to ask Daniel Pitti
to chair the TEI Council, as the co-representative of Virginia, since he
has excellent experience in guiding community-based standards
development.  I think the bylaws would probably allow me to continue to
serve out my term as Chair of the Consortium, though I'm open to
disagreement on this point, and in any case, I would hope that Illinois
would become a host before too long.

John

434-825-2969 | jmu2m at virginia.edu | http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/