Med. Man. desc. workgroup

Fotis Jannidis fotis.jannidis at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jun 26 13:00:28 EDT 2002

Merrilee,

you understood me right: I am talking about how particular lines of texts are positioned on the page. It does look like an extension of transcription issues to me too.
Probably some additional attributes which allow to define the extension of a rectangular, its orientation and the script would be a good starting point.
In Germany there is a trend in high prestige editions and in experimental ones (Kafka, Hölderlin, Goethe etc) to offer a facsimile of the original manuscript page and a
diplomatic transcription which tries to render the text in a legible format but also reproduces the layout of the page. Some of these editions are going digital now and they
are looking for formats. As I am also involved in one of these projects I am thinking about how to extend TEI to cover this aspects.

Fotis