Re: [sixties-l] REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (fwd)

From: drieux (drieux@WETWARE.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 18:39:19 EDT

    On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 03:03 , sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
    wrote:

> [...]

    given that there was no formal system for registering
    to 'dodge the draft' by 'going to canada - there is
    no formal method to get that number.

    in like manner there is no formal mechanism in place
    to get an accurate count of the number of persons who
    were able to dodge the draft by maintaining their 2-S
    deferment, time in the national guard, involvement as
    members of 'deferred' groups - such as teaching in
    the department of defense school systems....
    Nor the folks who while drafted, were prevented from
    seeing action in country because others kept schuffling
    their paperwork to keep shipping them around all over the place
    on what were essentially frivilous and meaningless postings
    and assignments.

    The fact that so many of 'the pro-war' types have been
    trying to deal with their lack of 'in country combat time'
    since at least the 1988 campaign season complicates the
    process all together - since it's so hard to establish
    which 'draft dodgers' are more patriotic than others....

    That the 2000 campaign gave america the chance for a
    clear vote between a Vietnam In Country Veteran, and
    some 'fortunate son' who was able to avoid being in
    country helps put a close on this issue as a crisis
    of national merit.

    ciao
    drieux

    ---