[sixties-l] interview pt. 3

From: Ron Jacobs (rjacobs@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 10:13:57 EDT

    Cops waged 'psychological warfare' on Panthers
    Interview with Safiya Bukhari, part 3

    By Imani Henry

    Safiya Bukhari is a former political prisoner who was a member of the Black
    Panther Party and the Black Liberation Army. She is currently the
    international director of the Jericho Movement, which has dedicated itself
    to the liberation of all political prisoners inside the United States. In
    part two of this interview, Bukhari began to trace her experiences as a
    revolutionary facing government repression.

    Imani Henry: There were the four parts of the FBI's Counter Intelligence
    Program or Cointelpro--infiltration, psychological warfare, dissemination
    of misinformation and violence. Can you give other examples?

    Safiya Bukhari: We didn't know about Cointelpro-and I think people believe
    that Cointelpro started with the Black Panther Party but it didn't. And
    people need to understand what Cointelpro is so they can see it when it is
    happening and prepare themselves to deal with it because it is going on all
    the time.

    In the Harlem chapter, there were undercover agents, and if it wasn't for
    my sister who worked as a communications person at the police department, I
    would not have known so many people in the Harlem chapter were police
    officers. Come to find out that some of them were gold shield-carrying
    detectives.

    Psychological warfare was more insidious then than just spreading
    disinformation. They learned to push peoples' buttons. It went as far as
    destroying people's ability to trust each other. For example putting
    hallucinogens in people's food so you would be scared to eat because it
    could lead to finding out something from someone's past and exposing it to
    the community.

    IH: When did you join the Black Liberation Army and what was that
    experience like?

    SB: In 1970, we were about so much work around political prisoners. We had
    the Black Panther Party in prison and the BLA in prison and they were being
    given life sentences. And we knew we needed to start an offshoot to deal
    with the issue by getting the parents involved and community support around
    it. So we started the National Committee for the Defense of Political
    Prisoners.

    At the same time, loads of us were being subpoenaed by the grand jury to
    testify against Panthers. I was given immunity from prosecution so I
    couldn't take the Fifth Amendment. So I had to make a decision whether to
    go to the grand jury and take the fifth and face federal contempt charges
    or not show up and face regular contempt charges. If I went to court and
    pleaded the fifth, I could be facing five years in prison for every
    question I refused to answer. So finally I made the decision not to go to
    the grand jury and I went underground in the BLA.

    To go underground is very difficult. Whatever made you unique as a person,
    you have to change all of that and become somebody totally different. You
    are out of contact with your family.

    IH: How long were you underground?

    SB: Beginning April 1973 and I was captured on January 17, 1975.

    Next--Part 4.

    - END -
    Reprinted from the July 18, 2002, issue of Workers World newspaper

    (Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
    distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not
    allowed. For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY
    10011; via e-mail: ww@wwpublish.com. Subscribe wwnews-on@wwpublish.com.