Re: [sixties-l] Re: heil freedom

From: StewA@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 12:21:05 EST

    Fascism is not an absolute, the notion that a social system is either fascist
    or not fascist misses the point. In America it is a question of our political
    system being more or less fascist at any given point. Although America has at
    times moved very far to the right, democratic and constitutional elements
    have always survived, though in restricted forms. The Bush era is obviously
    one of lots of fascism and little democracy. First there is the way his gang
    stole the election in Florida, boldly, in plain sight and over the backs of
    Blacks and Jews and now it is the lawless and extraconstitutional and racist
    way they rule over Moslem and Arab prisoners in Guantanamo and here -- and
    the whole authoritarian/Christian permanent war climate that they are
    manufacturing to control dissent. Is this full fledged fascism? No. Are we as
    a nation more fascistic than say in the Clinton era? Certainly. If Bush
    pushes his "axis of evil" into full fledged war will we go over the edge?
    What do you think?

    Stew

    Stew Albert
    stewa@aol.com