Re: [sixties-l] Re: heil freedom

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 17:54:06 EST

    Even full-fledged war against the "Axis of evil" does not guarantee
    fascism in the U.S. Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, introduced
    the draft for the first time in this country, and engaged in a most
    bloody suppression of the draft riots in New York. Did he bring fascism?
        McCarthyism flourished because of the Korean War, 1950-53. Just
    before it began, we had beaten back any chance of real fascism by
    physically defeating the fascists who mobbed the Robeson Concert at
    Peekskill. No similar attempt by citizens to destroy the civil liberties
    of other citizens subsequently occurred on any such scale. I exclude
    lynch "justice" against Blacks, because terrorism arising out of a
    previous condition of slavery is a unique American institution, to which
    no worldwide term such as fascism applies. Incidentally, that period saw
    a very sharp decline in mob action against AFrican-Americans, which
    never revived. The cops took over. The definition for that is a police
    state, not nice, but not fascism. Once again, a discussion such as this
    would not only not be permitted under fascism, but you and I would at
    the very least be put behind bars.
       Without mass citizen support, you don't have fascism. You can have a
    police state, a military dictatorship, absolute monarchy and a variety
    of other suppressive kinds of government, but not fascism.
                                                                    Bill Mandel

    --

    ======================================================== My autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), was written for the general reader. However, if you teach in the social sciences consider it for student reading. It is a history of how the American people fought to defend and expand its rights in my lifetime, employing the form of the life story of one who was involved in most serious movements: labor, student, peace, civil rights South and North, civil liberties (I seriously damaged the Senate Internal Security Committee, the McCarthy Committee, and the House Un-American Activities Committee with spectacular testimonies that may be heard/seen on my website, http://www.billmandel.net ), the RADIO OF DISSENT (37 YEARS ON PACIFICA), with very extensive information on its history) and the feminist movement, although I am male. The book contains some fifty pages on my late wife, Tanya, appearing appropriately throughout the book. They may be found in the index under Mandel, Tanya. My activities began in 1927. I am 84. The book is available through all normal sources. If you want an autographed copy, send me $23 at 4466 View Pl., Apt. 106, Oakland, CA. 94611 ========================================================