Re: [sixties-l] Todd Gitlin on the war (fwd)

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 01:24:53 EST

    Marty, I appreciate that old friendships die hard, but Todd read himself
    out of the movement, by any reasonable criteria that one can use, not
    the least of which being that he has supported every US war for the past
    decade: the Gulf War, the war against Serbia and now the war of
    conquest in Central Asia. Beyond that, he has served the interests of
    the mainstream media by giving it the answers it wants to hear, a
    practice he shares with some other former movement members. His
    rejection of one of the more important aspects of the Sixties, the
    understanding that there was no fundamental difference between the two
    major political parties, puts himself in that section of the liberal
    pseudointelligencia where he is indistinguishable from Tom Friedman.

    I have been a critic of the American left long before Gitlin found that
    doing so advantageous to his career. It is the angle or angles that one
    arrives at that criticism, however, that determines whether one is
    inside or outside of the movement.

    What may have been the defining moment for the post-Sixties Gitlin was
    when he bought his first house in Berkeley. While home-owning is not
    necessarily the path to co-optation, it seemed to have that effect on
    Todd. When he told me that he had finally bought a house, he made it
    sound like a religious experience. I suppose, in retrospect, it was.

    Jeff Blankfort