Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: 1984 (big brother)

From: Uriah768@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:26:19 EDT

    As long as we are using Orwell for our own purposes here, I thought I would
    share a few other quotes from him...just for fun. :-)

    "Insofar as it hampers the British war effort, British pacifism is on the
    side of the Nazis, and German pacifism, if it exists, is on the side of
    Britain and the USSR. Since pacifists have more freedom of action in
    countries where traces of democracy survive, pacifism can act more
    effectively against democracy than for it. Objectively, the pacifist is
    pro-Nazi." George Orwell, from a review of Alex Comfort's book "No Such
    Liberty: No Not One", Adelphi, October 1941

    Another...this time from Orwell's Notes on Nationalism, 1945:
    "There is a minority of intellectual pacifists whose real though unadmitted
    motive appears to be hatred of western democracy and admiration of
    totalitarianism. Pacifist propaganda usually boils down to saying that one
    side is as bad as the other, but if one looks closely at the writings of
    younger intellectual pacifists, one finds that they do not by any means
    express impartial disapproval but are directed almost entirely against
    Britain and the United States. Moreover they do not as a rule condemn
    violence as such, but only violence used in defense of western countries."

    I agree with the original post regarding Orwell's writing. It is prophetic
    in so many ways...1984 may sound like Bush (at least to the writer of the
    original post), but I also think the preceding quotes are just as
    prophetic...and accurate. I also think that these quotes pretty much sum up
    a lot of what passes for anti-war pacifism in this country now. Ignorance of
    history and a form of idealism that would make Woodrow Wilson blush also come
    in handy.

    Brad L. Duren
    Instructor of History
    Oklahoma Panhandle State University