Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: 1984 (big brother)

From: wmmmandel@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 00:22:10 EDT

    Those quotes from Orwell finally makes clear to me why he deserves to be
    despised.
                                    William Mandel

    Uriah768@aol.com wrote:

    > As long as we are using Orwell for our own purposes here, I thought I
    > would share a few other quotes from him...just for fun. :-)
    >
    > "Insofar as it hampers the British war effort, British pacifism is on
    > the side of the Nazis, and German pacifism, if it exists, is on the side
    > of Britain and the USSR. Since pacifists have more freedom of action in
    > countries where traces of democracy survive, pacifism can act more
    > effectively against democracy than for it. Objectively, the pacifist is
    > pro-Nazi." George Orwell, from a review of Alex Comfort's book "No Such
    > Liberty: No Not One", Adelphi, October 1941
    >
    > Another...this time from Orwell's Notes on Nationalism, 1945:
    > "There is a minority of intellectual pacifists whose real though
    > unadmitted motive appears to be hatred of western democracy and
    > admiration of totalitarianism. Pacifist propaganda usually boils down
    > to saying that one side is as bad as the other, but if one looks closely
    > at the writings of younger intellectual pacifists, one finds that they
    > do not by any means express impartial disapproval but are directed
    > almost entirely against Britain and the United States. Moreover they do
    > not as a rule condemn violence as such, but only violence used in
    > defense of western countries."

    Do you teach in the social sciences? Consider my SAYING NO TO POWER
    (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999), for course use. It was written as a
    social history of the U.S. for the past three-quarters of a century
    through the eyes of a participant observer in most progressive social
    movements (I'm 84), and of the USSR from the
    standpoint of a Sovietologist (five earlier books) knowing that country
    longer than any other in the profession. Therefore it is also a history
    of the Cold War. Positive reviews in The Black Scholar, American
    Studies in Scandinavia, San Francisco Chronicle, forthcoming in Tikkun,
    etc. Chapters are up at http://www.billmandel.net