[sixties-l] rights of return territory sort of thing

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 01:07:50 EDT

    I don't really disagree with Blankfort on the Palestinian Arabs' right to
    return to their homes. I do think, though, we should carry this to its
    logical conclusion. While I'm not sure I would like having a shtetl hovel
    near Radom or maybe a place by the Black Sea (well..sounds good, that), I
    believe some survivors may want re-dibsies on some bits of Poland, Germany,
    etc. The Miwoks, if any, probably wish this pad where I'm working just now.
      By the way, I do *not* mean this as a reductio re the Palestinian claims.
    What I do think we need to look at, though--to let in as a serious piece of
    this argument--is that, as I understand it, many or most of the Israeli West
    Bank settlers are poorer Jews effectively unable to survive in the more
    desireable areas of the country. I just wish we could--as numerous Arabs and
    Israelis I've known do--recognize the class issues here and start to
    transcend the ethnic ones.
      Best, Paula