Re: [sixties-l] Query on Sexual Revolution

From: Michael William Doyle (mdoyle@gw.bsu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 21:10:54 EST

    To: Rich Schneirov

    From: Michael Wm. Doyle, Ball State University Dept. of History,
    Muncie, Ind.

    Date: 27 Jan. 2001

    Re: Citations on the Sexual Revolution

    Here are several recent books that should fit the bill:

    David Allyn, _Make Love, Not War: The Sexual Revolution: An
    Unfettered History_. (Boston, etc.: Little, Brown, 2000).

    Beth Bailey, _Sex in the Heartland_. (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard
    University Press, 1999).

    Naomi Wolf, _Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood_.
    (New York: Random House, 1997).

    John Heidenry, _What Wild Ecstasy: The Rise and Fall of the
    Sexual Revolution_. (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997).

    Linda Grant, _Sexing the Millennium: Women and the Sexual
    Revolution_. (New York: Grove Press, 1994).

    Lillian B. Rubin, _Erotic Wars: What Happened to the Sexual
    Revolution_. (New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1990).

    Sheila Jeffreys, _Anticlimax: A Feminist Perspective on the
    Sexual Revolution_. (New York: New York University Press, 1990).

    Hope these help,

    * MWD

    Michael Wm. Doyle www.bsu.edu/classes/doyle
    Ball State University mwdoyle@bsu.edu
    Department of History (o) 765-285-8732
    Burkhardt Building 213 (f) 765-285-5612
    Muncie, IN 47306-0480 (h) 765-287-1503

    >>> hischnei@ruby.indstate.edu Friday, January 26, 2001 5:31:21
    PM >>>
    Sixties List Members: I have taught a course on the 1960s at
    Indiana
    State University called "The Sixties: Counterculture and Protest"
    for
    more than six years. The one area I have trouble finding good
    readings
    (either primary or secondary) is the sexual revolution. By
    sexual
    revolution I don't just mean hippies but the change in mores in
    this era
    from miniskirts and Playboy to Masters and Johnson and the
    singles and
    disco scene. I have used selections from Stephanie Coontz's book
    "The
    Way We Never Were" with some success but am stumped for other
    reading
    suitable for undergraduates in a general education class. I am
    also
    wondering if there is a broader interpretive work I can use to
    help
    conceptualize the sexual revolution.

    Does anyone out there have suggestions?

    Rich Schneirov