Re: [sixties-l] Query on Sexual Revolution

From: Peter Levy (plevy@eagle.ycp.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 08:43:10 EST

    A few suggestions for covering the sexual revolution. Beth Bailey's
    "Sexual Revolution(s)," is a very nice introduction to the subject. It
    can be found in, David Farber, ed., THE SIXTIES: FROM MEMORY TO
    HISTORY. I have a number of primary source readings on the sexual
    revolution in my documentary history, AMERICA IN THE SIXTIES: RIGHT,
    LEFT AND CENTER (Praeger 1998), including pieces by Hugh Heffner and
    Helen Gurley Brown, who sought a sexual revolution but not radical
    change. Also of interest in the same collection are Carl Davidson's
    "Gay Manifesto," and William Buckley's "Linda's Crusade," in which
    Buckley criticizes Barnard College for refusing to enforce its rule
    against coeds living off campus with their boyfriends. Students are
    surprised to find out how stickt schools were in terms of personal
    freedom.
    Yours, Peter Levy, Dept. of History, York College