[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-Netanyahu Protest

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 12/29/00

    From:Steve Wagner <lakemerrittneighbors@yahoo.com>
    To:change-links@egroups.com

    After the demonstration in Berkeley opposing Benjamin Netanyahu's
    message of intolerance & hate on November 28th some people who
    described themselves as "Free Speech Movement veterans" wrote a letter
    denouncing the demonstrators that was printed in several Bay Area
    newspapers. In today's Oakland Tribune there is a short "My Word"
    article called "What Really Happened During Netanyahu's Visit?" by
    Matthew MacLean, a UC Berkeley journalism student who was there to
    cover the demonstration on November 28th. He ends his article with this
    excellent rejoinder to the FSM letter:

      "Several of the indignant ticket-holders I interviewed said they had
    once been free speech demonstrators during the '60s, and that these new
    demonstrators had little understanding of what real free speech means.

      "But I wondered if their bitterness wasn't actually an expression of
    dismay -- the uncomfortable realization that they've crossed over the
    police lines to join a sort of establishment, now feeling the sting of
    the kind of activism they once embraced. Unwilling to accept this, they
    prefer to characterize the event in terms that portray themselves as
    the true guardians of free speech."