Re: [sixties-l] Critique of Bruce Franklin

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: 10/27/00

    In a message dated Fri, 27 Oct 2000  2:11:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bill
    Mandel <wmmmandel@earthlink.net> writes:

    <It is also fact that the police and prosecutorial
    <and judicial psychology (fundamentally race prejudice)
    <that results in the wry expression, "driving while
    <Black," extends into every manifestation of
    <repression, so that the longer sentences, more brutal
    <treatment, refusal of medical care in jail, being put
    <in the hole, etc., etc., etc., manifest themselves in
    <directly political repression as they do in the
    <indirect repression that has made it possible to
    <extract super-profits from the lower wages paid to
    <Blacks.

    How would an unbiased social scientist approach
    the dialogue between me and Mandel?

    The first problem would be to come to terms over
    the definition of what we are talking about.
    Although I haven't challenged any of the factual
    claims Mandel has made, they really don't speak
    to the issue, as I defined it in my original
    post on this subject.

    In my critique of Bruce Frankin, I wrote:

     "Repression of DISSENT is truly color-blind."
      [emphasis added]

    In his first response Mandel inaccurately quoted
    me by attributing to me the statement that "repression
    is truly color-blind" and then proceeded with his
    attack.  He has been off-course ever since.

    Now I would like to propose a methodology which
    a social scientist would use to evaluate my
    original statement.  Clearly, from the context,
    I was talking about state-sponsored reprisals
    intended to punish those engaged in political
    dissent.  Nothing in my statement denied the
    fact that Blacks and other non-whites have been
    victimized in this fashion. The implicit claim
    was that white radicals have enjoyed no special
    protection against political repression, granted
    on the basis of skin color alone.

    Mandel's factual claims about harsher treatment of
    blacks accused of non-political crimes, such as rape,
    have not been challenged by me.  The problem is
    that they are simply irrelevant to the evaluation
    of my original statement.

    To evaluate my statement, one would have to
    inspect historically a community in which both
    blacks and whites were, within the same time
    period, engaged in similar organized activities
    of political DISSENT, challenging the status quo
    from a perspective which leftists would agree was
    progressive. If evidence emerged of more lenient
    treatment of whites, it would be relevant.

    If the research were repeated for numerous
    communities and the pattern repeatedly confirmed,
    then my statement, viewed as a testable hypothesis,
    would have to be rejected.

    Without going into all the anecdotal evidence,
    I know that my hypothesis would be sustained
    by the history in Norman, Oklahoma, and OU
    during the Vietnam years.

    ~~ Michael Wright
      Norman, Oklahoma