Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: 10/18/00

    Jeff:

    Is there some reason that you do not stick to the
    specifics of the issues that I raise in this thread.
    It seems like you are reading far more into my
    statements than is really there, then firing back with
    some templated arguement from thirty years ago.  The
    fact is that at this distance from the issues we should
    be able to look at them and at what happened with a
    more logical approach than the hyperbole that we put
    forward when we were engaged in a struggle to stop the
    war.

    Jeffrey Blankfort wrote:

    My old friend, Ron Kovic, who I met at the Winter
    Solider testimonies at KPFK in 1971, has written about
    incidents in which his unit was involved that involved
    the torching of Vietnams huts in which women and
    children were hiding and other Vietnam vets from both
    the Marines and the Army testified at that hearing and
    the first one in Detroit both of the atrocities in
    which they had either participated in or had directly
    witnessed, and they made no attempt to balance such
    actions by attributing similar or equivalent actions to
    either the North Vietnamese or to the NLF.

    JW reply:

    If you remember correctly I made the statement that
    events like My Lai were exceptions, not a common
    occurance.  I don't disagree with Ron Kovic nor doubt
    his recollections, nor do I discount the Winter Soldier
    testimonies of which I am very supportive.  But, the
    fact that these things happened does not make them a
    normal and routine event in comparison to everything
    else that we did as you and others have implied.

    As for the comparison to the NLF atrocities, why would
    anyone try to balance their actions by claiming that
    the other side did it.  My point is that the other side
    should also come into question for their crimes against
    humanity as well as the US and it disturbs me that you
    and others would excuse their willful butchering of
    children and civilians.

    JB wrote:

     As for your access to Top Secret material after the
    war, given the US attitude towards the Vietnamese,
    routinely referred to as Gooks, it is unlikely that
    many of the atrocities committed by US servicemen were
    reported therein.

    JW reply:

    My reference to that was not in relation to the
    atrocities but to a lot of other stuff that was going
    on that helped to convince me that the system was
    corrupt and that the only way to uphold my oath of
    allegience to the constitution was to protest, and I
    did, and it was not after the war, it was during it.

    JB wrote:

    One did not need even one My Lai to object to the war.
    The resulting dead, somewhere between one and two
    million Vietnamese and the dropping of more bombs on
    that country than had been dropped in Europe in WW 2
    (and even more were dropped on Laos, which has been
    generally not discussed) made the whole episode a war
    crime, and had we had trials subsequent to that war as
    we had for the Nazis, a  number of US officials,
    civilian and military. would have ended up on the
    gallows or serving long prison terms.

    JW reply:

    Who ever questioned your objection to the war?  The
    original point was that the war was not one long,
    unending  string of My Lais and you cede it to me
    obliquely by changing the subject.

    I objected to the war and I objected to some of the
    practices and I don't disagree with your statement
    above, but it does not address the narrow topic that
    was under discussion.

    By the way, if we held all participants of war up to
    the standards of conduct that you suggest (which I
    agree with) not only would high placed US officials be
    doing time, so would a number of Vietnamese from RVN,
    NVN and the NLF, not to mention a number of US and
    Allied officials responsible for some of the atrocious
    acts committed as a matter of policy in WWII.  I could
    fill a volume with lists of those who should be brought
    before an iternational tribunal for violoations of
    human rights.  Let's hold everyone up to the same
    standard.

    JB wrote:

    Your efforts to equate the actions of the NLF with that
    of the invading US forces smacks of similar efforts to
    equate the actions of anti-apartheid forces in South
    Africa with those of the apartheid government. Anti-
    Nazi partisans also committed what might be described
    as atrocities given that war-time situations do not
    allow for much of a gray zone. What is primary is to
    determine which forces had any basis for legitimate
    combat in the first place, and then we see clearly that
    nothing justified the US presence in Vietnam in the
    first place, so that one might make the case that every
    killing of a Vietnamese by an American soldier was a
    criminal act, whatever the motive. They were fighting
    for their land. US soldiers were simply obeying orders,
    killing people in a land thousands of miles away who in
    no remote way had ever threatened them or the US. Some,
    too few, in the aftermath of that war, have tried to
    make amends, making trips to Vietnam to help rebuild
    the country in whose destruction they participated.

    JW reply:

    You and I differ here Jeff in that seems that you would
    condone the murder of children and others and who knows
    what atrocities if it were for the right cause.  And
    you would freely label almost everything that your
    enemy did as an atrocity and a crime.  Is that really
    where you are headed?  If you are saying all of this
    stuff because you think that I do not think that the US
    involvement was criminal, then you are making a
    mistake.  I quit when I saw it as a crime and I took
    very direct action to help bring it to an end.

    JB wrote:

    I have heard stories of the NLF "using children as
    shields and as walking bombs," and that this was used
    as a justification for shooting children who might be
    potential assassins. Since I have seen children in
    other areas, such as Lebanon, who have been trained and
    armed as members of resistance groups--which is sad in
    the extreme but understandable in the circumstances, I
    am not ready to accept your description of such usage
    by the NLF which mirrors the official US line.

    JW reply:

    What exactly do you mean by this?  That you support the
    use of children in combat and as walking booby traps
    and human shields for ground troops?

    JB wrote:

    I do not accept your "exceptionalism" for those who
    did the killings at My Lai, as if they were a
    fundamentally different lot than the rest of the those
    serving there, and others did not shoot down Vietnamese
    "in cold blood," although the majority probably did got
    go as far as those did in My Lai.

    JW reply:

    You can't have it both ways.  Either it was exceptional
    (which in fact it was considering all of the
    engagements of the war) or it wasn't which then means
    that the majority or close to did go as far as those in
    My Lai (which they did not.)  Also note your spin here.
    You attribute me with saying others did not shoot down
    Vietnamese in cold blood when in fact I said "almost
    all combat units killed children indirectly, but most
    of them not like the scum bags who shot down people at
    My Lai."  Going from most of them did not to others did
    not is a twist.

    If it makes you feel any different, the infantry units
    that I served with probably would have not obeyed an
    order to shoot down obviously unarmed civilains in clod
    blood, and most of us would have intervened had anyone
    tried to do so.

    JB wrote:

    I don't think I am misinterpreting this comment which
    seems to imply that judging the US as the bad guy in
    the Vietnam War is simply a personal political choice,
    and that the behavior of the US was not immoral. I
    strongly disagree.

    JW reply:

    You are misinterpreting the comment referred to, but at
    least you are consistant.  In your eagerness to condemn
    the US you seem to uncritcally heap every and all
    accusations you can find on it while at the same time
    excusing the excesses of the other side instead of
    applying a uniform standard of civilized conduct to all
    concerned.  It has always been my position that the US
    intervention in Vietnam was a criminal act as well as a
    foolish one and a few other things.  That you read
    otherwise into my statements is a knee jerk reaction on
    your part based on false assumptions.

    JB wrote:

    Moreover, US actions in Vietnam marked simply another
    inglorious chapter in US military interventions that
    were purely in behalf of US global interests, as former
    Marine General Smedley Butler pointed out decades ago.
    I trust that you will acknowledge that Gen. Butler had
    more personal experience with this subject than either
    you or I.

    JW reply:

    Smedley Butler is one of my heroes, and a heroe of the
    Marine Corps who, at least in my time, covered him in
    the history classes taught at boot camp.  Another
    worthy Marine is General David Shoup, who as Commandant
    in the early 60's advised against intervention in
    Vietnam and later condemned it.  Then there was Col.
    Corson who ran the Marine Corps Civic Action Platoons
    in Vietnam.  While this was still a part of a bad war
    it was an approach that emphasized building up villages
    and the welfare of the villagers as opposed to burning
    them and killing them.  The Marine Corps approach of
    civic action, however, did not fit the Army model of
    search and destroy for one, and it was also a threat to
    the established oligarchy in South Vietnam so you know
    how it fared.  The Vietnamese leadership was corrupt
    right down to village chiefs, something I know from
    experience.

    JB wrote:

     I am not trying to portray the Vietnamese as
    primitive, simply that the US had far more sources of
    firepower.

    JW reply:

    I agree, but the NVA had significant firepower and good
    weapons and despite all of the air power which had
    questionable effect in triple canopy jungle, it was not
    the case as some would portray it as a modern, well
    armed giant taking on a bunch of rabble, and in the
    jungle where air power was diminished the NVA's good
    equipment and superior knowledge of the terrain made
    them very formidable.  As for your statement on the
    effectiveness of the M16 all I can say in plain
    language is that it was a piece of shit and I knew very
    few infantrymen who would not have traded it back for
    the M14.  The stories about the M16's faults are true
    and some of them I witnessed first hand.

    JB wrote:

    Your response here isn't clear. Are you saying white
    phosphorous wasn't used against Vietnamese troops by
    the US?  Because, if you are, you are dead wrong. I
    heard about it too many times, and I don't have the
    time to go back and check it out again.

    JW reply:

    Save the research, I can tell you first hand that it
    was used frequently, usually not directly against
    troops in my experience.  My comment meant that I
    thought that its use against ground troops was a
    contravention of the Geneva Convention, but I could be
    wrong on that.  I also said that it is a common
    military item and no doubt the NVA and NLF had it too,
    although I never personally encountered their use of
    it.

    JB wrote:

    Please. Your apologies for US behavior in Vietnam and
    your attempts to apportion the blame equally to both
    sides is tiresome, at best, but your speculation as to
    what the North Vietnamese might have done as a way to
    mitigate what the military forces of the US actually
    did, is in a word, disgusting, and you should be
    ashamed of yourself.

    JW wrote:

    What is disgusting is your acceptance of the killing of
    children and other atrocities done by the NLF.  Even
    without proof you should at least say that you would
    condemn any that were proven.

    What is tiresome is you misreading of my points leading
    you to jump to conclusions which you then proceed to
    argue against.  Lots of words, some good points, but
    off the mark in relation to what I said.

    I am not apologizing for US behaviour, just putting it
    in perspective rather than buy into your argument that
    eventually leads to everything from mass murder to
    pissing in the South China Sea or writing letters home
    to mom is a war crime and all GI's were brutal thugs
    somehow a level or two below normal people.  Now I know
    that you don't mean this, but that is where you are
    logically leading yourself by failing to consider that
    things are not all in black and white.

    JB wrote:

    And your attempt to dismiss the moral implications of
    the use of Agent Orange, the effect of which on humans
    was already known, sounds like the response of someone
    in the VA to those vets who complained for years about
    its effects and only got a positive response when they
    needed some more young bodies to pursue the next
    immoral war, the one that continues against Iraq.

    JW reply:

    First, how do you assess the moral implications of
    Agent Orange when it was basically an across the
    counter item in US stores commonly used by everyday
    housewives and gardeners?  I agree that we shouldn't
    have used it, I told you that I wouldn't have used it,
    to me all herbicides are immoral, but does that make
    your friends and neighbors who splash out some weed
    killer immoral or just stupid?  I am sure that we can
    find a point of imorallity here, and in the end I will
    probably agree with you, but what I wanted to point out
    was that it might not have been as black and white in
    some peoples' minds as you would suggest.

    Second, I was exposed to Agent Orange and I have good
    friends who died in their forties from heart attacks
    and who knows what, and one wonders how much of a role
    Agent Orange played in their ill health.  If you think
    that I have any use for anyone in the VA who wants to
    gloss over Agent Orange, pop yourself in the head a few
    times and wake up.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor