Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 10/19/00

    Jerry West <record@island.net> wrote:

    > Jeff:
    >
    > Is there some reason that you do not stick to the
    > specifics of the issues that I raise in this thread.
    > It seems like you are reading far more into my
    > statements than is really there, then firing back with
    > some templated arguement from thirty years ago.  The
    > fact is that at this distance from the issues we should
    > be able to look at them and at what happened with a
    > more logical approach than the hyperbole that we put
    > forward when we were engaged in a struggle to stop the
    > war.

    Thirty years doesn't change facts. It doesn't equate the victimizer with
    the victim although this is the way much, if not most of US history has
    been reported in our textbooks, and I have no doubt that other countries
    do the same as well,but few have as much to cover-up as we do over the
    same period of time. I have responded to your allegations and what seems
    to me a desire on your part to make the NVA and the NLF forces into a
    bunch of child killers when the number of dead children at the hands of
    US forces, including the Marines. dwarfs whatever number were killed, as
    you say, by the NVA and the NLF.

    I am not going to bother with another point by point refutation more
    than to deny anything I wrote endorses the killing of children by any
    side.  What I would like to know is what proof you can offer that NVA
    and NLF engaged in the killing of children (and for what reason?) The US
    military clearly had its reasons, but your efforts to rewrite history
    don't make the millions of dead at US hands any less repulsive.  Sorry.

    Jeff