Thousands March in Mexico City Story Filed: Monday, October 02, 2000 MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Shouting ``Don't forget Oct. 2!,'' thousands of protesters marched through Mexico City on Monday to mark the 32nd anniversary of the day an Olympic security battalion opened fire on mostly student protesters, killing dozens. Those marching Monday called for the release of government archives on the massacre, and Mexican President-elect Vicente Fox has pledged to open the files. But many of the marchers said they were doubtful the information will ever be released. ``It's a lie,'' said one protester, Javier Resendiz, 56. ``They've been saying this for so many years, but they never resolve it.'' Yelling slogans and carrying banners denouncing free market reforms, 9,000 people marched to the capital's historic plaza. The crowd -- mostly leftist students -- was violent at times. At the start of the march, several people were injured when demonstrators threw rocks at the bus they were traveling in, breaking its windows. Several other demonstrators were hurt when they were attacked with sticks and rocks by another group. Demonstrator Xenia Hernandez, 19, said she didn't believe Fox would follow through on his pledge to release documents because doing so would ``implicate those guilty, some of whom are alive.'' Some 300 people are believed to have been killed in the Oct. 2, 1968, massacre in Mexico City, according to human rights groups. The government has maintained that only 30 to 40 people died and that student protesters opened fire first. Recent information found in archives in Washington and Mexican ministries shows the existence of a government plan to end the student protests. It also shows that President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz believed foreign communists were leading the movement and that he was determined to enforce security ahead of the 1968 Olympic Games. Still, key files and military records remain sealed, and it is unclear who ordered the security battalion to open fire. On Monday, Mexico City Mayor Rosario Robles repeated demands for more information, describing the massacre as ``an open wound.'' In elections July 2, Fox became the first opposition candidate to be popularly elected president in Mexico. He defeated a member of the Institutional Revolutionary Party, which has held the presidency since its creation in 1929. Fox has said that one of the first things he will do after he is sworn in Dec. 1 is have Mexico's Congress set up a ``Transparency Commission'' to start looking into Mexico's past corruption cases and unsolved crimes. The massacre is likely to be among the cases investigated. Fox told Progreso magazine in an article published last week that he believes ``crimes against humanity should be brought to justice.''
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : 10/06/00 EDT