Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam Memorial and flags

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:57:20 CUT

    monkerud wrote:

    > > You don't like loyalty tests, but that's exactly what you are
    > >requiring of anyone who believes they are/were a radical activist or a
    > >member of the Left, or whatever. The only homogeneity that existed at
    > >the time was that the members were born in the same relative time
    > >period(s) and that they were into rebellion (and rarely the same
    > >rebellion as everyone else).

    Whoa! There must be some others from my age cohort who followed a
    political curve like mine: born well before the baby boomers (1930) but
    radicalized at the same time. I served in the Air Force during the Korean
    War (that was the mode of draft dodging then -- they even called us
    that at Lackland) and was attached to the National Security Agency
    (deciphering Czech Border Guard Traffic). And I never "rebelled" --
    I went into political resistance, first on a small scale, and then to
    capitalism. The idea of personal "rebellion" always seemed silly to
    me.

    Carrol Cox