Re: [sixties-l] Vietnam Memorial and flags

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 23:24:12 CUT

    > You don't like loyalty tests, but that's exactly what you are
    >requiring of anyone who believes they are/were a radical activist or a
    >member of the Left, or whatever. The only homogeneity that existed at
    >the time was that the members were born in the same relative time
    >period(s) and that they were into rebellion (and rarely the same
    >rebellion as everyone else).

    You have a good point and I think we failed in that we didn't leave any
    form of organization behind. We split into many different groups with
    different agendas. I meant to point out what you say, "the only
    homogeneity" was that we were born at the same relative time period.

    Did I say anything about loyalty tests? I think not. Did I say antying
    about being inclusive or elitist? I think not. Actually many of the views
    here make good social democratic views, even democratic liberal views and
    that is sadly lacking from the political parties today. Our whole system
    has skewed to the right -- mostly in reaction to us I think.

    > Isn't it obvious to you from just the conversations on this list that
    >time has moved on? Most people do move on and come to different
    >conclusions BASED ON THE SAME SETS OF FACTS YOU USE.

    This leads to discussion which is what this list is all about.

    >Now you can call people stupid ("he's a musician after all") all you
    >want; that's your privelege.

    Maybe the after all was snide, my apologies. My point is that Joe cares
    more for music than politics and I can't put him down for that. I found his
    post yesterday both revealing and honest, "I hate politics. I love music."
    I'm much more concerned about the political landscape than I am about
    music. I love music too, especially meaningful music.

    > Did it ever occur to you that it isn't a question of "how little the
    >ideas that we put forth reached ordinary Americans", but rather how much
    >ordinary Americans rejected what we tried to forcefeed them. Maybe they
    >had viewpoints on these matters as equally valid as yours.

    You're full of understanding today. Good point. I never had any chance
    whatsoever to "forcefeed" anyone any ideas. But I did work for social
    change. Jesus, what was wrong with racism and imperialistic invasions of
    other countries. Those views are just as valid as mine.... This line of
    reasoning doesn't go very far does it? Our cultural changes were coopted
    and yet they make a difference in the kind of society we have today. Our
    political ideas resulted in a system that remains just as racist as always,
    a huge defense budget, the embargo with Cuba, and I can go on and on....

    And you're right again, where do we go from here?

    best, Don Monkerud