[sixties-l] Fwd: Green Like Me

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:23:41 CUT

    Green Like Me
    By Jesse Walker
    Reason Online, June 23, 2000

    This weekend, the Green Party convenes in Colorado to pick its
    presidential nominee. With Ralph Nader, hero of mainstream liberals in
    the '60s and '70s, a shoo-in as their nominee, the movement that began
    as a search for a new kind of radicalism has established itself instead
    as the last political inn open to the older left. It hardly matters
    whether Naderism is compatible with Green principles: The candidate
    hasn't even joined the party that's poised to nominate him, and he says
    he doesn't plan to either.

    It's not just '70s liberalism that has found a home among the Greens:
    Two more remnants of earlier eras have enough of a foothold in the party
    to challenge Nader for the nomination. They will lose--badly--but they
    deserve to be noted.

    One candidate is Stephen Gaskin, founder of a famous Tennessee commune,
    The Farm. His 10-point platform sometimes sounds like it could have been
    drafted by Ross Perot, if Ross were in the habit of swallowing mushrooms
    rather than looking like one: One plank, for instance, says we should
    "fix" the veterans benefit system, without elaborating as to why and how
    it can be repaired. Gaskin also endorses the Equal Rights Amendment
    (while ignoring the pressing matters of Seabrook, OPEC, and Patty
    Hearst), and says we should establish Universal Health Care and "argue
    about the money later." (If President Gaskin decides to send men to
    Mars, he'll probably decide to argue about the technology later.)

    "The effective silencing of all those hippie voices must end now if our
    country is going to pull itself together," Gaskin notes on his Web site.
    "I want it to be understood that we ARE a bunch of tree huggers and
    mystics and greens and that there are about 35 million of us, about
    twice what Ross Perot had. I want to get them registered." Most of my
    hippie friends aren't eager to register with *anybody*, but then, they
    don't try to translate their stoned patter into presidential platforms
    either. If Gaskin is a hippie, he's the kind that made punk necessary.

    As it happens, there's a punk in the Green race, too: Jello Biafra,
    former frontman for the Dead Kennedys. Those of us who grew up listening
    to the DKs might be surprised to see Jello in such company--this is the
    man, after all, who lampooned the Mellow Dictatorship two decades ago in
    "California ber Alles":

       Zen fascists will control you
       100% natural
       You will jog for the master race
       And always wear a happy face

       Close your eyes, can't happen here
       Big Bro' on white horse is near
       The hippies won't come back, you say?
       Mellow out or you will pay!

    But there always were two Jello Biafras, one a liberal statist and one a
    punk anarchist. The former once said that California voters passed the
    tax-chopping Proposition 13 because they were "too greedy to pay for
    things like schools"; the latter wrote songs like "Straight A's," which
    didn't give the impression that schools were worth paying for.

    The anarchist Jello ran for mayor of San Francisco in 1979, with a
    colorful platform that called (among other things) for establishing a
    board of bribery to set official rates, requiring downtown businessmen
    to wear clown suits during working hours, and re-hiring laid off civil
    servants as panhandlers at 50 percent commission. The Green Jello
    (forgive the expression) is much less interesting: Aside from an
    admirably daft proposal to lower the voting age to five, his platform
    lacks the inspired absurdism of his earlier campaign. Oh, there's jokes
    aplenty--a call for "drug and sex education using actual drugs and sex
    in class," a proposal to "fight gentrification by allowing those under
    siege to spray whipped cream on those who flaunt their upwardly mobile
    invader status"--but they aren't very funny. (There's also a call for a
    maximum wage--"No taxes up to $100,000; after that it's payback
    time"--but I suspect he's actually serious about that.)

    Jello hasn't had much time to campaign: His former bandmates have
    distracted him with a lawsuit, alleging that Biafra--who owns their
    record label--hasn't been paying them all their royalties. Jello
    disputes their account, of course, but if worst comes to worst I'm sure
    he could find some way to accommodate such ripoffs to the Green family.
    There already seems to be room there for everything else under the
    left-wing sun.

    http://www.reason.com/opeds/jw062300.html