Re: [sixties-l] Women

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 22:11:16 CUT

    When one faces a live audience, whether in a classroom, lecture
    hall, or whatever, it is possible to encourage female
    participation either verbally or by giving women preference when
    pointing to raised hands. In 1975, when touring with my book,
    Soviet Women (Doubleday-Anchor; still very worth reading, because
    it was a comparative study done with the women's liberation
    movement in mind and edited with close attention to the
    page-by-page criticisms of one prominent feminist as well as my
    wife and daughter), I often found male students the first to
    stick their hands up in classrooms. I would say that it was about
    time they gave women a chance, and that always brought women's
    hands up.
       On the Internet, one reads what is posted. It is a fact that
    many women still hang back, whether from a lifetime of being put
    down, or from having an unequal burden of duties, or for more
    subtle, complex, and not yet full-understood reasons.
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net