Re: [sixties-l] Re: Vietnam War Memorial

From: Joe McDonald (joe@countryjoe.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 05:40:29 CUT

    sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:46:01
    > From: Steve Warren <steve.warren@cln.com>
    > Subject: Re: Vietnam War Memorial
    >
    > This may be a crazy idea, but why limit it to the American dead? The
    > Vietnamese aren't "the enemy" anymore - if they ever were - and if you
    > believe in an afterlife they're all bunking together now. How about a
    > memorial to all the dead of that war in hopes of preventing the next one?
    >
    > steve warren
    > -----------------

    That is a wonderful idea! Someone, perhaps you, needs to start gathering
    names. That is what i did. The only list of Vietnam War dead i have ever
    seen is in Trent Angers book THE FORGOTTEN HERO OF MY LAI, THE HUGH THOMPSON
    STORY, Acadian House 1999. The appendix list the names and ages and sex of
    all 504 people killed in the My Lai massacre.

    Vietnamese is a tonal language. A given syllable may be pronounced in any of
    six tones. This makes it very difficult for English speakers to even
    pronounce Vietnamese names. further complicating the mission for Americans
    is that there are only about 150 surnames.

    But what a wonderful idea. There is no "can't" in American! cheers, country
    joe mcdonald

    -- "Ira Furor Brevis Est " - Anger is a brief madness

    country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
    country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
    <http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale>
    Berkeley Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Links/Comm/vvm>
    Rag Baby Online Magazine <http://www.ragbaby.com/magazine>