Max Scheer and the Berkeley Barb (Multiple posts)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:19:16 -0400

(1)
From: A.M.BEH@lse.ac.uk

Dear Paula,

Thanks very much for your insights. It was an intensely
interesting time and I enjoy hearing about what you were
doing and thinking then.

The specific questions I'd like to have answered are:

* What were M. Scheer's self-described reasons for
starting the Barb? (to give a voice to the Left/radicals?
anti-war? fun? all or none of these?)

* Did he ever write down his reasons for starting the
paper?

* How did he come up with the money to start the Barb?
and how much did he need to start?

* What did he think of his newspaper by, say, 1967,
after the paper had been running for a while? Had it turned
into what he had envisioned at the beginning? What role did
he think it was fulfilling?

Some of the answers I can derive clearly from what you
wrote. If possible, however, I'd like to hear more directly
from Scheer's mouth. So, if you happen to come across Jane
Scheer and/or George Kaufman, I'd love to know whether they
would mind giving me their answers to these questions.

Thanks a lot!

Andrew

P.S. No, I'm not aware of the 1963 Berkeley paper put out
by the Garsons. What was it? And why was its life so brief?

Andrew Beh
London School of Economics
Email: a.m.beh@lse.ac.uk

(2)
From: jwood@mail.sdsu.edu (James L. Wood)

Max Scheer was a co-founder of the Berkeley Barb to originally help his
brother, Robert Scheer, in a mid-sixties Berkeley election. Robert Scheer
is now an LA Times columnist (with an e-mail address, I think). You should
contact him. Jim Wood