Re: International Influence of the Civil Rights Movement (multiple posts)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Fri, 30 May 1997 17:23:57 -0400

(1)
From: epm2@lehigh.edu (Ted Morgan)

>I am interested in studying the international impact of the Civil Rights
>Movement from the 1960s to the present. Can anyone recommend the
>appropriate secondary sources to me? Thanks.
>Uche Egemonye

An interesting topic indeed! I can't recommend too many specific sources,
except to say that I have seen repeated references --in various places-- to
the CRM's impact on (a) So. African liberation movements, (b) Northern Ireland
self-determination movement, and (c) the German Greens (cf. Fritjof Capra &
Charlene Spretnak's "Green Promise" for the latter. Also, of course, the
interaction between the Civil Rights (and black power) Movement and the African
anti-colonialism movement. Lots of important connections. I think the Civil
Rights Movement was quite possibly the most significant single pro-democratic
movement of the century, and that includes those in the Eastern bloc (another
possible impact to explore).
Ted Morgan

================================
Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA 18015

epm2@lehigh.edu
phone: (610) 758-3345
fax: (610) 758-6554

(2)
From: Tom Condit <tomcondit@igc.apc.org>

When Dublin (Ireland) postal workers occupied the main post office there in
the early 1960s (I think it was in 1963), they sat in and sang "We Shall
Overcome."