Sixties monuments (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 02:39:17 -0500

[1]

From: Aron Kay <pieman@queenbee.net>
Subject: Re: monuments

this sounds like a great idea...places like people's park, haight
street; grant park; hippie hill in golden gate park, etc. would be good
examples to start with..
______________________________

[2]

From: epm2@lehigh.edu (TED MORGAN)

David Tillyer's mention of making the Chicago Hilton a 60s monument
brought to mind other places --like Grant & Lincoln Parks-- and my own
memory of being at a conference at the Hilton a year or so ago and
reflecting on the powerful history that was alive for me there but
invisible to the general public. I so agree that it would be
appropriate to, in some way, expropriate spaces like that for a
"people's" monument or marker of some kind --as a reminder or jog to
the public memory. I wonder how that could be done effectively, and
so that it would last (or maybe an "event" is a more appropriate
60s-style action). Maybe media "events" at such places at appropriate
anniversaries would be helpful reminders of what has become largely
invisible in the popular culture. Ted Morgan

Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA 18015