Get the FBI file on any significant 1960's figure

Michael Ravnitzky (MikeRav@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:28:59 +0000

You can get the FBI file of any significant 1960's figure, provided that
the person is no longer alive. You can also get your own file. Here's
how to do either.

To get the FBI file of any significant 1960's figure, simply send a
letter of request to:

FBI Freedom of Information Act Unit
Records Resouces Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 20535

You'll need to ask for all records, "see" references and cross
references, and ELSUR indices concerning that person.

You'll need to include the full name or names of the person, the dates
of birth and death for the person, the place of birth for the person and
some proof of death, such as an encyclopedia entry, Who Was Who in
America photocopy, biographical dictionary entry, newspaper or magazine
obituary, etc.

About 85% of all the people I've asked about have had files of some
substance. For contractual reasons, I am unable to discuss the
specifics of my personal requests. But you can ask for the file of
anyone you wish, provided that they are no longer alive.

You can also ask for a copy of your own file, simply provide a notarized
letteer of request that also mentions the FOIA and the Privacy Act. No
fancy letter is required--a simple letter of request with your name and
date and place of birth is sufficient.

It takes a while but is well worth it. Send me a private email if you
still have any questions.

michael ravnitzky