Re: SDS/Weather Underground

Sandra Hollin Flowers (flowers_s@Mercer.EDU)
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:47:51 -0500

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, you wrote:

> I was wondering what your opinions are
> regarding the lack of coverage of the sixties' political groups and SDS
> and the Weather Underground in particuliar.

Jeff, are you talking about now or then or sometime in between? If
you mean now, I have also been struck by an apparent shortage of
book-length works on the sixties. Basking in the glow of SIXTIES-L and a
recent visit to the site and links, I went into a major (mainstream)
bookstore last November expecting to find choice upon choice of sixties
books for my freshman seminar class. I walked out empty-handed.
However, in terms of other forms of media, you might want to take
a look at PBS' "Making Sense of the Sixties" series. I've used it for the
past two years in that FS course, and my students were just as moved by it
as I was. For me it was a matter of memories and a sense of loss; for them
it was a sense of discovery, awe, and unexpected respect for the period.
SDS is mentioned in a couple of the tapes, and the Weather Underground
gets extended coverage in one of them (in "In a Dark Time" or "Picking up
the Pieces.")

Sandra in Maconga
flowers_s@mercer.edu