[adhoc] subscription numbers

From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:34:06 -0500

Folks,

A quick run-down on the subscription numbers. Numbers below that
appear outside of parens are row numbers, referring to the excel
spreadsheet (with official audited OUP numbers) that Jean procured
and sent to some of you already (it's attached, I hope, to this email
as well, for those who didn't get it already).

Numbers in parentheses are totals or subtotals. It's not clear to me
what the (E/P/S) classifier is on the end of the SACH or SALLC
subscription type, but I'm assuming these are student, retired,
professional or the like. I also don't know what SJALC or SLSA mean,
but I'm figuring they are other organizations. Also not clear: how
it is indicated when someone (like me, for example) has subscribed
and asked to pay extra to belong to both organizations. I show up as
an ACH member (SACHP). Well, even without certainty on some of these
things (which are still worth clarifying as we go forward) I think
the outcomes are reasonably clear:

2-126 European institutional subs (126)
444-477 UK institutional subs (34)
= (160) ALLC institutional subs

187-233 Japanese institutional subs (47)
415-436 the rest of the world (19)
= (66) unallocated institutional subs

242-330 US and Canadian institutional subs (89)
= (89) ACH institutional subs

127-163 (37), 234-238 (5), 331-360 (30) SACH(E/P/S)
= (72) ACH individual members

361-387 (27), 437-441 (5), 478-490 (13) SALLC(P/S)
= (45) ALLC individual members

491-496 (6) SJALC(P/S)
497 (1) SLSA
= (7) Other organizations?

164-186 (23), 239-241 (3), 388-414 (27), 442-443 (2), 498-507 (10)
= (65) "Personal" subscriptions without declared affiliation

160 ALLC institutional subs + 45 ALLC individual members = 205 ALLC
89 ACH institutional subs + 72 ACH individual members = 161 ACH
(subtotal: 366 affiliated, or 73%; of these 366, 205, or 56%, are
ALLC, and 161, or 44%, are ACH.)

66 unallocated institutional subs + 7 other organizations + 65
unaffiliated individual subs = 138 "other" (27%)

Total 504

(spreadsheet has 507 rows, so I've missed or miscounted a few
somewhere)

If we retained income from "unallocated and unaffiliated" to fund
central activities like the journals, that would mean we would set
aside 27% before distribution of income to the associations.

If we allocated representation on the steering committee (with five
seats available) on the basis of the percentage of affiliated
individuals and relevant regional institutions subscribing, ALLC
would have 2.8 seats, and ACH would have 2.2 seats. Rounding off,
that's 3 for ALLC and 2 for ACH.

If COCH-COSH came into it, I'd recommend we give them an additional
(sixth) seat for the first year, while we make it possible for
individuals to declare that affliation, and then see where things
stand after a year. There are only 7 Canadian institutions
subscribing, 6 Canadian individuals currently identified as ACH
members, 2 identified as ALLC members, and four with no declared
affiliation.

John