[adhoc] remaining items of business

From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:44:53 -0500

SC members,

According to our original schedule, here's what remains to be done:

Wed. May 25: Last day to vote on the program chair

Wed. June 8: Last day to vote on COCH-COSH membership

I am sure that everyone is getting tired of the steering committee
agenda, but we are in the home stretch, and I think we can manage the
rest of this. If we do that, I think we will have accomplished a
good deal, and we will be able to report to our executive committees
that we've carried out all of the tasks we were charged with in
Gothenburg.

In his email voting on the conference protocol, Harold said that he
would

> ask the ALLC Committee to propose names for the PC Chair for 2006,
> with a view to being able to present these to the SC within a few
> days.

My view of this is that we can dispatch this next step relatively
quickly--perhaps before May 25th. Having voted to be bound by the
conference protocol, we do need "several" names to be proposed by
ALLC to the steering committee, but once they are proposed, we can
vote as soon as people are ready to do so, and indeed, as has been
pointed out in earlier discussion, we are overdue to get things
moving on the program committee front, so it would be good to appoint
the chair as soon as possible. Once that's done, we can turn to the
last item, which is COCH-COSH membership, and perhaps we will have
time enough to actually give that the discussion it deserves before
we vote on the 8th. Ray's listening in on this list, so he can join
us in that discussion.

It's also worth noting that these last two items of business are ones
that the SC can conclude on its own--we do not need to refer them to
the ALLC and ACH executives in order to finalize them. The
conference protocol, section B.4, and the governance protocol,
sections III.2, make this clear.

John