governance

From: John Unsworth (unsworth@uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 00:52:43 EDT

    Folks,

    Time is short, and Harold's on the road (possibly without documents:
    Harold, call if you need someone to vouch for you with Homeland
    Security...) so I'm going to push this item forward with the group.
    Harold and Lorna and I met for an afternoon in Chicago, and worked out
    some details of the governance document, which can be found at:

    http://www3.isrl.uiuc.edu/~unsworth/ifdish.html

    I should explain about IFDiSH. Nobody liked ADHO, as we know: when
    Harold and Lorna and I met, there was not a lot of enthusiasm for
    either Cocoh (or cocho), nor for ohco. Too much of the past. We tried
    to come up with something better, and thought that whatever the rest of
    the label might be, digital scholarship in the humanities should be
    part of it. That's the DiSH part. IF is International Federation,
    because we thought international was an important qualifier, and we
    need some sort of group-category, like
    organization/federation/gang/flock/pod etc.. So, please read the
    attached with awareness that we don't have to stick with IFDiSH--the
    point is the guidance proposed in the document. That much, we do need
    to have in shape, when we meet in Sweden, even if we are still waffling
    on our name.

    John