Re: State of play

From: Julia Flanders (Julia_Flanders@brown.edu)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 14:09:46 EDT

    I agree that this makes sense, but I think it needs to be stated
    briefly and clearly somewhere.
    The distinction between "regional chapters" and "other ADHO member
    organizations" is clear to us because we've been discussing it, but
    to someone coming to this afresh, it isn't obvious from the outset,
    and doesn't become clear unless one reads the documentation fairly
    carefully. Also, the language that distinguishes between these two
    things slips a little during the course of the executive summary:

    --"regional chapters" vs. "international affiliates"
    --"to make it easy and relatively inexpensive for someone who is a
    member of one regional organization (or affiliate) to become a member
    of another regional organization (or affiliate)" [implying that
    membership in regional organizations and in affiliates is structured
    in similar ways with respect to ADHO]
    --"At the same time, in order for ADHO to work as an umbrella
    organization, participation in ADHO must be an automatic consequence
    of membership in any of its constituent organizations, and if there
    is a fee for participation in ADHO, it must be included as part of
    the membership fee of the constituent organization."

    Perhaps it would be enough to add an item to the "summary of
    recommendations" clarifying this point.

    best, Julia